You can be manipulated by:
- A boss, co-worker or an employee
- A family member or a friend
- An elected official or a dictator
- A religious authority
- The media or Hollywood
In our next Conversation Safari we will be discussing manipulation.
Below are some of the questions and thoughts we will consider:
- Have you ever been manipulated?
- By one person, a group of people or strangers?
- “Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves.” Eric Hoffer
- When has it been unintentional?
- When has it been intentional? (Maybe for personal gain without considering long-term consequences.)
- When has it been intentional AND strategic? (To control people and results.)
- Hitler believed that the skillful and unremitting use of propaganda could persuade people to believe that Heaven was Hell…
- Do you always know when you are being manipulated?
- How is manipulation impacting your life and your environment?
- How do you respond when it happens?
- What can you do differently to discern when manipulation is happening and choose a wiser response?
- “Belief can be manipulated. Only knowledge is dangerous.” ― Frank Herbert
Please share your thoughts about these questions and quotes in the comments.
After the Safari – I’ll share participant feedback in a new post on this blog.
TIP: If you frequently lump everyone of a particular:
- Political Party
…Into a single stereotype – You are failing to see them as people. -Anatomy of Peace Book
You can change that and choose to become a truth detective:
- Take a break from the news, Hollywood, and the people you normally surround yourself with.
- Dig deeper. Read further.
- Meet with others. Listen first. Then share your perspective.
- Pray for discernment.
- Share what you are learning.
- Repeat the process.