Last week I was facilitating a leadership development session for people from every department and every level of a large organization. During our discussion I asked them if they realized that regardless of their title they are paid to think. …Their immediate response? Silence.
Later in the week I re-opened the book The Secret and as I skimmed through the pages this quote jumped off the page, “Check your brains at the door. They will be returned to you as you leave the building. ~The Management”
How about you? Are you paid to think? …Or to check your brains at the door?
…As we near the start of a new year I wonder:
- How many people work in cultures that expect them to check their brains at the door?
- How many organizations have actually invited their employees to think?
- How many organizations have provided the tools and the training to help their organization unleash the knowledge that exists within their own walls?
Regardless of your title: What if…
- You shared a vision for 2013 with your team that invites everyone to bring their knowledge, their ideas, and their questions to the office? A vision that encourages collaborative problem solving from people across the organization no matter who they are or where they sit?
- Your organization begins to reward people for asking tough questions and even challenging current policies that don’t serve the customer or the company well?
- Everyone works together to create a culture that unleashes each other’s strengths?
- You succeeded at building a stronger organization? …And have more fun doing it?
…What if… ???
For more on this topic check out these resources:
- Blog Post: The answers are on the floor. (Evidence that unleashing the knowledge of employees can make a significant difference.)
- Book: The Character Based Leader, Instigating a Leadership Revolution… One person at a time. (Because ordinary people can make an extraordinary difference.)
- Book: Beep! Beep! Competing in the Age of the Roadrunner. (Does your organization function like a pack of coyote’s or a flock of roadrunners? Hint: Flocks are more effective!)
- Blog Post: Have you shared your vision with your team? (2013 is just around the corner, are you doing the same thing you’ve always done? …Expecting different results?)