Have you ever realized you needed to change your behavior to be more effective but over-corrected?
- …Like learning to drive, and turning the wheel to fast or hitting the brake too hard and then doing the complete opposite?
A titled leader I know has a great gift for detail.
- He makes a plan, works his plan, dots i’s crosses, t’s, and always delivers before the deadline.
- If you have a question about a project, he’s researched it, and has a file full of information that can help you.
The challenge is that he is not an attention seeker and he doesn’t fight for the spotlight.
I published this post this summer just before the U.S.A. celebrated Independence Day!
- I am republishing now because January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month. Human Trafficking is modern-day slavery and it is the fastest growing crime in the world.
- And January is also the month that we honor the life of Martin Luther King Jr. for all of the work he did to bring freedom to others.
As a U.S. Citizen, I grew up being very proud of:
- My country – where people came to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
- My family – who left everything behind in their countries of origin because of oppression and poverty and came to the U.S. to pursue those ideals.
And even prouder of: My relatives and friends that served to defend the freedom of others.
Moving to the big sandbox we live in now took lots of prayer and courage because many of the freedoms I always cherished don’t exist here. …But we came believing that we were supposed to seek to understand and to learn.
We weren’t here very long when a neighbor challenged me to consider that Americans don’t have a corner on the market on freedom. I accepted her challenge and have been listening and experiencing for a little more than two years. And although we don’t have it all figured out yet, this is a bit of what we are learning…
I live more than 7,000 miles from my home, in an expat compound on the other side of the world.
Shortly after we moved here, one of my neighbors was venting about a conflict he had with another neighbor. In the midst of his anger he said, “I don’t know how the compound can let people live here that don’t have any integrity.”
Hit the pause button.
Replay… “I don’t know how the compound can let people live here that don’t have any integrity.”
I was recently helping my 9-year-old neighbor with her homework. She’d had a long day at school, and we’d been studying for an hour and her brain was tired! As I pulled out the last book we needed to study she said, “I can’t do this!”
Immediately I interrupted, “Oh honey, don’t say that! Because…
She immediately plugged both of her ears and said, “I can’t do this!”
In September of 2012 I launched a book with 20 other co-authors that are deeply passionate about the overwhelming need for Character-Based Leaders to Instigate A Leadership Revolution in our world.
- The need is still there.
- Our passion was spot on.
- And the book received great reviews.
However, it was a first book for most of us and there was so much we didn’t know.
One of the biggest learning’s was that after more than a year of collaborating, writing, and editing our book… Getting it published and celebrating wasn’t the end of the story – it was only the beginning.