Are you convinced that you and your team are capable of making a bigger difference? …For each other? …For your organization? …For your community?
Do you dream of working for an organization that is committed to Character-Based Leadership?
Are you concerned that you don’t have the power or the position to make it happen?
I believe it is possible for ordinary people to make an extraordinary difference in our world and have been blessed with repeated opportunities to lead system-wide change from the middle and the edge of organizations. This is some of what I’ve learned so far:
- Change begins INSIDE YOU. Do you desire that dream enough to leave your comfort zone and be the change you want to see? …It only takes a spark to get a fire going!
- Dare to be different! March to the beat of a different drum. Be a little crazy, be fun, be weird.
- Explain WHY!!! Describe in detail, “what is” & “what could be.” Make sure everyone knows what is in it for them.
- “We can’t,” is never an acceptable answer! Is it a “red rule” – A legal requirements that must be followed? …Or a “blue rule” that was created for the convenience of one person or one department at the detriment of the rest of the organization and the customers?
- Repeat your message and model the behavior you wish to see. Repeat your message and model the behavior you wish to see. Repeat your message and model the behavior you wish to see… (Has every individual heard the message and seen the behavior modeled at least 21 times??? If not: repeat your message, and model the behavior you wish to see…)
- Bring data, logic, strategy, persistence and the right amount of light to the conversation. Are you a candle or a beacon?
- Expect mistakes. Apologize when you blow it. Forgive yourself. Try again.
Apple’s Think Different Campaign said it best, “…Because the people who are crazy enough to believe they can change the world, are the ones who do.” Are you crazy enough to lead the change you dream of?
Please share… What lessons have you learned about leading from the middle or the edge of an organization?
Want more? Download our free ebook on the right side of this post! Tips for Instigating Change – No matter where you sit!
~ ~ ~
Chery Gegelman is one of 21 author’s from 3 countries that connected virtually and discovered a shared passion that has resulted in a new book:
This book encourages people everywhere to lead from WHO they are not WHERE they sit.
“Do what you can, with what you have, right where you are.” Theodore Roosevelt
“With great power, comes great responsibility.” Stan Lee, Franklin D Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, Voltaire